The PCFIR deliberates upon and coordinates important policy matters pertaining to the development and acquisition of new science and technology, including artificial intelligence (AI) and data technology, as well as new industries and services necessary for Korean society’s adaptation to the 4th Industrial Revolution. The committee’s legal basis can be found in the Presidential Decree on the Creation and Management of the PCFIR, promulgated and effective as of August 22, 2017.
- Deliberates upon and coordinates policy measures submitted by various ministries and the committee members.
- Organizes public campaigns related to the 4th industrial Revolution and encourages public participation.
- Prepares the groundwork for regulatory and institutional reforms in support of public-private partnerships; and
- Fosters ecosystems for new industries (Special Committee on Smart City, Special Committee on Healthcare, etc.).
The PCFIR discussions and reviews matters pertaining to the following.
- National master plans and strategies related to the 4th Industrial Revolution;
- Executive plans and major policies of various ministries regarding the 4th Industrial Revolution;
- Measures to support the advancement of science & technology and the development & innovation of core technologies(AI, ICT, etc.) necessary for the 4th Industrial Revolution; and
- Measures to foster new industries and services created through the integration of intelligent technologies into existing industries.
Message from the chairperson
The world today is undergoing a rapid transformation known as the 4th Industrial Revolution, through which countries are evolving into intelligent information-based societies. As the inevitable outcome of advancements in digital and information technologies, the 4th Industrial Revolution is transforming industries and changing our lives profoundly. Change can be difficult for anyone to manage, and revolutionary change is even more difficult. If Korea can adapt to and manage this industrial revolution based on strong leadership and vision, it will achieve a significant leap forward on the global stage.
Upon its establishment, the Presidential Committee on the Fourth Industrial Revolution(PCFIR) was given the historic mission of guiding the course of the revolution based upon deliberation on and coordination with the Korean government’s policy measures pertaining to it.
In addition to fulfilling the tasks that have been given to me, I will also do my best to remain attentive to both the big picture and specific policy steps based upon my own experience as well as public-private partnership. I will make sure that the PCFIR produces positive results by pursuing a grand vision and ensuring that even the smallest actions are carried out thoroughly.
I believe all policy and social changes should ultimately serve the people. That is the long-term vision that guides the PCFIR’s activities. As change necessarily involves pain and loss, we on the committee will strive to find measures to minimize such pain.
The PCFIR and its members will do their best to build social consensus on technological advancement, mobilize public and private resources, and help Korea achieve the desired innovation and growth. I ask you to continue supporting us with your attention and participation.
Directions of the PCFIR
Organization, Member of the PCFIR, PCFIR Secretariat
presidential committee on the Fourth Industrial Revolution
The Korean government established the Presidential Committee on the Fourth Industrial Revolution and started to drive consensus-building for changes
Introduction members to the 4th Industrial Revolution Committee
ByungGyu ChangChairperson, Bluehole Inc.
Jean KohPresident, Ph.D. / Korea Mobile Internet Business Association
Seungjoo Gabriel KimProfessor / Graduate School of Information Security, Korea University
Heung-Soo KimVice President, Head of Advanced Corporate Product Planning / Hyundai Motor Company
Su Youn NamCEO, MD.,PH.D. / INTS BIO
Hyung Doo NamProfessor / Yonsei Law School
Yeo Jung MoonDirector, M.D., Ph.D. / Intervest
Hoi Ri MoonAssociate Professor / Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology (UNIST), Department of Chemistry
Yu Rang ParkAssistant professor / Department of Biomedical Systems Informatics Yonsei University College of Medicine
Jae Eun SeokProfessor, Director of CK SMART Aged friendly Service / Hallym University
Kyeong-Hwan LeeAssociate Professor / Department of Rural and Biosystems Engineering, Chonnam National University
Na Ree LeeCEO / PLANNERY
Sang Yong LeeAssociate Professor / Chungnam National University Law School
Yekyung Lisa LeeAssociate Professor / Graduate School of Education, Sogang University
Choon Seong LeemProfessor, Ph.D. / Department of information and Industrial Engineering, Yonsei University
Myung Hee JangAssociate Professor(Director Center for Educational Accreditation) / Hansung University
Sungjin ChoiCEO / Korea Startup Forum
Charles PyoFounder & CEO / Chain Partners Inc.
Seon Ja HoangDeputy General / FKTU Research Center
You Young MinMinister / Ministry of Science and ICT
Sung Yun-moMinister / Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy
LEE, Jae-kapMinister / Ministry of Employment and Labor
Hong JonghaakMinister / Ministry of SMEs and Startups
Kim Hyun-meeMinister / Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport
Committee: Consists of 24 members, including one chairperson.
- The Committee’s inaugural members include Byung Gyu Chang as the chairperson, the Science Advisor to the President as the administrator, the private sector experts, and the ministers of participating departments (Science and ICT; Trade, Industry and Energy; Employment and Labor; SMEs and Startups; Land, Infrastructure and Transport).
The PCFIR includes: the Innovation Subcommittees for various fields of expertise, Special Subcommittees for in-depth discussions on specific policy issues, and Committee secretariat.
- Innovation Subcommittees: The PCFIR consists of three Innovation Subcommittees on science and technology, industrial economy, and social institutions.
Area of Expertise of Innovation Subcommittees
Area of Expertise of Innovation Subcommittees | Description of Science & Technology, Industrial Economy, Social Institutions Science
Scientific and technological development, network development, strengthening of data production and utilization technologies, and countermeasures for addressing the expected side effects of the 4th Industrial Revolution Industrial
Fostering ecosystems for innovative tech startups, integrating intelligent technologies into existing industries, and developing new service Social
Innovation of employment and welfare policies, educational refoms to foster creativity, legal and policy reforms to slove real social problems, and international and community relations
- Special Subcommittees: The PCFIR operates a number of subcommittees to ensure thorough discussions on various issues related to the 4th Industrial Revolution, including Smart City and Healthcare.
- PCFIR secretariat: provides administrative support for the Committee, including assistance with the organization of meetings.Headed by Mr. Young Hae Choi, and consisting of 3teams (the General Affairs and Planning; Technology and Industry; Social Innovation).
|Choi, Young hae||
|Choi, Young sun||
|Chaw, Mi Ae||
|Kim, Dan ho||
|Kang, Chang Yeop||
|Lee, Eon yong||
|Oh, Jung yun||
|Pak, Hye Jin||
|Eom, Hyun ah||
|Kwon, Soon Young||
|Jeong, Yun Hee||
|Seo, Min Joo||
|Park, Jeong Soo||
|Hwang, Hui Jeong||
|Lee, Jae Suk||
|Lee, Chong Taek||
|Kwon, Ji Hee||
|Ahn, Geun Ok||
|Park, Hyoun woong||
|Kim, Dong Min||
|Hwang, In Song||
|Sung, Hyun Mo||
|Kim, Tae Eun||
|Yu, Su Yeon||
|Lee, Seung Eun||
|Jee, Byoung Suk||
|Kwon, Ae Kyong||
The People-Centered Response Plan for the 4th industrial Revolution to Promote Innovative Growth
Realization of People-Centered Fourth Industrial Revolution, Participated in by All and Enjoyed by All
- Secure competitiveness in intelligent technology
- Foster innovative growth engines
- Improve R&D system
Infrastructure & Ecosystem
- Create a hyper-connected intelligent technology network
- Strengthen basis for data creation and sharing
- Improve new industry regulations
- Transform SMEs and venture-backed companies /regional hubs into growth engines
Future Social Changes
- Support the development of key personnel
- Innovate educational system in preparation for future social changes
- Expand the employment security net
- Strengthen measures for addressing adverse cyber effects and cyber ethical issues
Regulatory and Institutional Reform Hackathon
Now that the 4th Industrial Revolution is upon us, new institutional issues are arising amid the birth of new industries and destruction of the old order. The PCFIR encourages public debates on these issues and controversies, involving acute conflicts of interest, hoping to find suitable answers and solutions through discourse
- The PCFIR serves as the intermediator and coordinator of these debates and helps participants discuss and find specific reform measures.
Characteristics of the Hackathon
- Issues on the agenda, solutions, and executive plans must all be identified and selected based on the consensus of participants.
- Participants face no limits to their speech, but professional facilitators will mediate the debates.
- Working together, the participants draft a final version of the consensus, which is then relayed to the respective ministries and departments. The results of the debates are monitored and checked.
- Decide on the issues to be discussed.
- Select participants, including those from both the public and private sector.
- Organize preliminary discussions/meetings, both online and offline, for the analysis and finalization of the issues on the agenda and the detailed debate plan.
- Share core issues.
- Organize debates (opening → discussion → convergence).
- Draft plans for regulatory and institutional reforms.
- Organize meetings with policymakers.
- Draft the final consensus.
- Produce detailed action plans.
- Monitor and follow up with the government and National Assembly’s implementation of the plans.
- Confirm progress on a quarterly basis, and share feedback with Hackathon participants.