The PCFIR deliberates upon and coordinates important policy matters pertaining to the development and acquisition of new science and technology,
including artificial intelligence (AI) and data technology, as well as new industries and services necessary for Korean society’s adaptation to the 4th Industrial Revolution.
The committee’s legal basis can be found in the Presidential Decree on the Creation and Management of the PCFIR, promulgated and effective as of August 22, 2017.
- Deliberates upon and coordinates policy measures submitted by various ministries and the committee members.
- Organizes public campaigns related to the 4th industrial Revolution and encourages public participation.
- Prepares the groundwork for regulatory and institutional reforms in support of public-private partnerships; and
- Fosters ecosystems for new industries (Special Committee on Data, Special Committee on Smart City, Special Committee on Digital Healthcare, etc.).
The PCFIR discussions and reviews matters pertaining to the following.
- National master plans and strategies related to the 4th Industrial Revolution;
- Executive plans and major policies of various ministries regarding the 4th Industrial Revolution;
- Measures to support the advancement of science & technology and the development & innovation of core technologies(AI, ICT, etc.) necessary for the 4th Industrial Revolution; and
- Measures to foster new industries and services created through the integration of intelligent technologies into existing industries.